The World Agroforestry Centre, is an international institute headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and founded in 1978. The Centre specializes in the sustainable management, protection and regulation of tropical rainforest and natural reserves.
- The ideal Senior Manager, Programs and Research will be a compelling leader, able to foster and steer high quality initiatives at AWARD. He/she will provide robust professional and technical guidance for multi-faceted programs focused on the nexus between gender and agricultural research, environment and climate change, agricultural policy and practice in Africa. He/she will oversee the implementation of the current portfolio of AWARD’s programmatic activities, coordinate the planning and design of new initiatives, lead AWARD’s conversations and engagement on gender in agricultural research with regional and global stakeholders. The incumbent will work collaboratively with all AWARD units to ensure seamless program execution and identify key learnings and opportunities for action to accelerate and achieve AWARD’s vision and mission. He/she will be also responsible for enhancing AWARD’s performance and credibility as an essential player and expert on gender responsive agricultural research and development.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership, direction, and technical support in the day-to-day program operations, production of high quality and timely deliverables in line with the work planning and allocated budgets.
- Lead AWARD’s engagement with national, regional and global agricultural research communities on issues of gender responsive agricultural research and development.
- Prepare comprehensive work plans, develop program budgets, and work closely with the Team to ensure cost-effective interventions and operations at AWARD.
- Lead the development of a robust research agenda and preparation of guidance materials, including toolkits and guidelines on gender responsive agriculture research and development.
- Work closely with the M&E and Communications units, to translate data, evidence, and learnings from AWARD programs into compelling narratives and action points for sharing with key stakeholders in the agricultural sector.
- Coordinate with the M&E/Communications units, the review and analysis of the implementation and progress of the various initiatives to ensure that AWARD’s standards of excellence are maintained as well as to enable continued adaptive management.
- Support the review of AWARD’s grants, the analysis of cumulative results achieved and the preparation of recommendations to improve performance.
- Prepare regular progress updates, lead the reporting exercises and sharing with the relevant internal and external audiences.
- Lead AWARD’s engagement with national, regional, and global actors on the issues of gender, climate change, and policy in agricultural research and development.
- Contribute to AWARD’s resource mobilization efforts, identify, and provide guidance on new funding opportunities and strategic partnerships to explore as necessary.
- Serve as a member of the senior management team and contribute to the strategic positioning, decision making and working towards a farsighted, efficient, and effective leadership for AWARD.
- Support continued capacity development of the AWARD team in the areas of gender in agriculture research and development.
- Proactively supervise a dynamic team of colleagues by providing effective coaching and necessary support for team motivation, personal and professional growth.
- Represent AWARD externally as needed.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in a relevant discipline, including agricultural economics, social sciences, gender studies, rural sociology, international development, rural development, or any related fields.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken, with proven drafting and editing skills. Fluency in French would be an added advantage.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience working in the field of international development/organisational development with a focus on integrating gender dimensions into programs and policies, particularly in the context of agriculture, climate change, rural development, food security and nutrition.
- Internationally recognized expertise in gender and development research, preferably in the food and agriculture sphere.
- Strong knowledge of, and experience in program design, implementation, management, and evaluation.
- Proven experience in the coordination of donor-funded projects and thus, good knowledge of donor planning cycles, agreement requirements and regulations as well as donor reporting processes.
- Experience working in Francophone Africa will be ad added advantage.
- Experience in managing culturally diverse teams, including recruitment and managing performance, career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Solid experience working with multi-stakeholders in the agricultural sector and managing the implementation of complex institutional transformation processes on the African continent.
- Strong understanding of the role of gender in the African agriculture and food systems, the policy landscape in Africa; value chain development and implications for socio-economic development, challenges, and opportunities for Africa’s effective development.
- Solid track record of research contributions in agriculture and development, use of mixed-methods approaches, evaluation design, impact assessment and other strategic analyses focused on gender, agri-food systems, and related research topics.
- Demonstrated experience in resource mobilisation and donor relations, including writing grant proposals and other fundraising materials.
- Experience in communicating research-, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&L) – related evidence including practical recommendations for action.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Proactive, creative, results-driven, self-starter and self-motivator.
- Time management skills, sense of urgency and flexibility.
- Strong organizational and relational skills; excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, highly effective planning skills and ability to prioritize efficiently.
- Proven leadership skills and strong ability to manage diverse teams, support staff development, coaching and mentoring.
- Quick learner, tech-savvy, and a knack for connecting the dots, retaining the knowledge required to excel in the role.
- Good team player committed to excellence working in a team or independently.
- Demonstrated ability to forge partnerships and maintain strong networks.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills: maturity, highly commendable work ethics and sensitivity to different socio-cultural backgrounds; and
- Outstanding written and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of audiences.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ksh10000000 KES 0-ksh10000000 Month
- Address Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya