Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training, and marketing. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer, insect-based animal feed, and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the end products to Kenyan farms under the brand name Farm Star.
About the role
We are currently seeking an experienced Lead Civil Engineer who will work on retrofitting Sanergy’s existing facilities and design future facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with various engineering disciplines to develop optimized layouts for various BSF production and processing facilities
- Explore different technologies for structures and propose optimum designs based on cost-benefit analysis
- Review/Develop civil engineering deliverables (layout, civil drawings, architectural drawings, calculations)
- Perform design calculations for various engineering problems
- Develop preliminary BQs and cost estimates for various civil scope of works
- Explore different technologies for wastewater treatment system and propose optimum solution based on cost-benefit analysis
- Explore different technologies for leachate management and propose optimum solution based on cost-benefit analysis
- Review vendor/consultant drawings and provide technical feedback to ensure specifications are met
- Provide engineering input to mechanical and process designs
- Shortlist potential consultants/vendors and request designs for quotation
- Lead meetings with consultants/vendors and ensure clarity across areas of responsibility
- Responsible for the technical quality and accuracy of work developed by the civil engineering consultants
- Prepare quality checklists, AM/PM lists, and facility operating procedures
- Develop clear and transparent communication channels with other staff including Engineers, Project Manager, and Administration Staff.
- Provide hands-on field expert level support during design and construction
- Perform field inspections to ensure construction meets the design specifications
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in engineering and design of various industrial structures, wastewater treatment facility, and drainage systems
- Demonstrated working knowledge of how multi-disciplinary engineering team functions
- Demonstrated working knowledge or interest in structural designs
- Experience in designing industrial facilities
- Effective interpersonal skills to properly represent Sanergy in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a workstreams, set priorities, handle budgets and provide constructive feedback to junior members
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
The position is based in Nairobi with considerable movement to Kinanie, Machakos constituency and Kilifi, Kilifi County
How to Apply
Closing Date : 31st July, 2021
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ksh10000000 USD 0-ksh10000000 Month
- Address Kenya