The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- Advises and assists the Director on technical and functional issues across the operational spectrum the impact the effectiveness of the division and agency.
- Assists the Director in overseeing the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Division, including preparation of budgets, financial management, reporting on budget/programme performance, evaluation of staff performance, interviews of candidates for job openings, evaluation of candidates and preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting.
- Leads and supervises the organization of meetings, seminars, etc. on substantive issues.
- Manages the substantive preparation and organization of such meetings or seminars.
- Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision and also oversees corporate wide training activities.
- Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Division and across organizational boundaries.
- Supports the review and redesign of inter divisional processes that address simplification and efficiency whilst maintain essential internal control frameworks: Ensures that the outputs produced by the Division maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensures that all outputs produced by the Sections under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
- Develops and reviews processes to support the preparation of the work programme of the Division, determining priorities, and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Plans, directs and coordinates the preparation of reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the Committee of Permanent Representatives, UN Environment Assembly and other UN headquarters bodies like the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budget Questions (ACBCQ), Committee for Programme Coordination, Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly and other policy-making organs, as appropriate.
- Engages with key stakeholders across the UN system to support relevant UN reform and strategic business alliances and initiatives.
- Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
- PROFESSIONALISM: The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- MANAGING PERFORMANCE: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, social sciences, management is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Professional certification in any of the management disciplines is desirable.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration, financial management, internal control frameworks or budget culminating in leadership roles is required.
- Experience in strategy setting and implementation is required.
- Experience in leadership of change management initiatives and senior engagement in organizational reform activities is required.
- Experience in resource mobilization and donor reporting in an international organization is desirable.
- Experience engaging at senior levels within the UN or other intergovernmental bodies is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French or Spanish is desirable.
Closing Date : 20 June. 2023
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ksh10000000 KES 0-ksh10000000 Month
- Address Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya