Job: Assistant Procurement Manager
Location: Kericho, Kenya
On any day, 2 billion people use Unilever products to look good, feel good and get more out of life – giving us a unique opportunity to build a brighter future. Great products from our range of more than 400 brands give us a unique place in the lives of people all over the world. When consumers reach for nutritionally balanced foods or indulgent ice creams, affordable soaps that combat disease, luxurious shampoos or everyday household care products, there’s a good chance the brand they pick is one of ours. Seven out of every ten households around the world contain at least one Unilever product, and our range of world-leading, household-name brands includes Lipton, Knorr, Dove, Axe, Hellmann’s and Omo. Trusted local brands designed to meet the specific needs of consumers in their home market include Blue Band, Pureit and Suave. Whatever the brand, wherever it is bought, we’re working to ensure that it plays a part in helping fulfil our purpose as a business – making sustainable living commonplace.
Purpose of the role
The Assistant Procurement Manager seeks to develop a protocol that outlines how UTKL purchases goods and services, custodians all company policies relating to procurement to ensure that purchasing is managed consistently throughout the organization, making it easier to stay on budget and receive budget approval. The Procurement manager owns strategy to find cost-effective deals and suppliers to ensure sustainability.
- Integrating global / regional sourcing strategies with business and plant demands, balancing timing and conflicting interests.
- Required breadth of knowledge of a large portfolio of CAPEX, MRO, raw and packaging materials, suppliers and ERP system.
- Working in their country of responsibility and EA with multiple strategic Procurement teams each with a different culture and processes .
- Implement the Buying Procedure and Ways of Working.
- Maintains supplier relationships by resolving supplier issues such as supplier payment overdues, responds to queries and requisitions for samples and information
- Evaluates, monitors and communicates to supplier’s performance on deliveries, material or service rejection
- Completes information request sheets such as volumes forecasts for buying contracts, buying form for material forecasts through the buying form to the finance team, provides explanations to price variances.
- Arranges / facilitates supplier review meetings, quality audits and safety evaluations and visits.
- Generates and provides reports on supplier spends quarterly, risks on CCFOT (Customer Case Fill on Time) arise from supplier risks to the regional compatibilities team monthly.
- Supports early Procurement involvement in category innovation and supply chain projects (facing & integrating with the Category/Geography, acting as the point of contact in brand / category / SC teams) within Business Unit of responsibility.
- Understands and collects category program and needs (from category development, brand development and supply chain) subsequently discusses and agrees with Procurement Operations Manager on the procurement activities.
- Supports the Supply Chain in Procurement related issues.
- Acts as Custodian of the business relationship with Supply Material Managers in particular on innovation project management, customer service, provides supplier splits
- Ensures alignment between business needs and Supply Markets capabilities
- Enable communication (Project review – Information flow – Target/goals & strategies)
- Supplier Collaboration & Innovation
- Represents Procurement in the category innovation projects meetings (material cost, speed to market, complexity and coherence with strategy)
- Supports Zero Based Budgeting & Cost optimization programs
- Support the business in working capital management
- Lead transformational digitization projects – smart sourcing, cataloguing, reporting
- Ensure supplier responsible sourcing & quality compliance
- Ensure 100% contract compliance
- Support supplier selection to be involved in projects.
- Influence Suppliers strategy to fulfil Category business goals.
- Support material procurement in leveraging effectively external relationships to support the innovation process
- Supports the Competitor Analysis and Benchmarking to the material network teams.
- Provide input to SC analysis on materials and suppliers drawing on expertise of the Procurement teams facing various supply markets
- Directly leads or co-ordinates some Innovation projects him/herself as needed
- Supports implementation and operational execution of PI Portfolio Procurement sourcing strategies and selected supply base into the category / brand / R&D teams and prevents use of non-selected suppliers.
- Supports supplier capacity planning and run strategy development, communication of UL requirements to suppliers and expediting of orders [placed by material managers] as needed.
- Participation in the category / brand / R&D innovation projects, cost savings teams as supply project manager and is the communication conduit for e.g. ideas, new technology, material cost, availability, risk, opportunity, supplier capital requirements etc. between the internal procurement groups, business operating teams and supply base.
- Communicates output of Supplier Evaluation Program and develops and follows up corrective action and review process with internal customers, supplier relationship managers and suppliers
- To ensure the satisfaction of Unilever’s internal customers with the services provided by the procurement organization (same as procurement assistant)
- Support the periodic Executive Summary for the Team by consolidating and reporting various KPIs (e.g. ZBB, Payment Terms Tracker, Supplier Performance) (common with procurement assistant)
- To handle diverse customer, supplier or operational issues when they arise.
- Responsible for people management in the unit.
- As per job/site requirements, local travel likely.
- BSc degree in Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Logistics (or equivalent)
- At least 4 years’ experience in Procurement or Supply Management
- CIPS &/or MBA holder will be an added advantage
- A strong background in an operations environment.
- Knowledge of sourcing and procurement techniques and proven skills in “reading the market”.
- Proven track record in negotiations and networking.
- Good knowledge of supplier or third-party management.
- Aptitude in decision-making and working with numbers.
- Experience in collecting and analyzing data.
- In-depth knowledge of contracts, invoicing, and negotiation terms
- Superb communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Problem solver with a strong analytical mindset
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Negotiation aptitude.
Closing Date : 23rd May, 2021
- Salary Offer 0 ~ Ksh10000000 USD 0-ksh10000000 Month
- Address Kericho, Kenya